It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: travelling to USA next year... yippee!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 am 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

Wifey and I are travelling to the US next year (around april-may) planning on visiting Vegas, New York and Portland (visiting family in portland)

any pointers, or 'must do's' for planning. will be spending a week in NYC, three days in vegas and two days in portland.

cheers

Post subject: Re: travelling to USA next year... yippee!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm 
Founding Board Member

You lucky beggar. Have a great time. No tips from me as I've never been. :(

11 Cheers for Binary!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:36 pm 

will be celebrating 10 years anniversary and my 40th.... planning to renew our vows in Vegas (tossing up between Elvis and Star Wars theme ceremony)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm 
Founding Board Member

Dude, if you don't do Star Wars, you're off the forums :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Got plenty of pointers for NYC, a few for vegas as wifey was there a while back.

Hmmm...Go down to the Comedy stretch in the West village (MaDougall Street) for a night of laughs, the spice kitchen is a good place for a great dining experience, Top of the Rock during the day, the Empire state at night and shopping at Century 21, DSW (Shoes galore for wifey), Macy's and take the Roosevelt cable car across to Roosevelt island for a quick look at the skyline from a different perspective, Central Station, Central Park around near "Alice in Wonderland" to name a few, Chinatown is gabage, Little italy is ok but they are shifty, Staten Island ferry for some snaps of Statue of liberty along the way, Rockafella plaza, The Metroplitan art museum (Natural History museum sucked though), lots of walking so put on comfy shoes, get a weekly rail pass and use the subway, etc... I could go all day......

Vegas has some of the best shopping, especially designer stuff so compare prices then go nuts. NYC is pretty damn good too.

Pricing is cheap for eating out and shopping for things like cloths (Levis at $38.00 - $52.00), Beer, cosmetics, shoes and some designer stuff but would hold out for Vegas on designer items. Everything else is comparible to here for the most part.

I am excited for you both Heath.....hope you guys have an awesome time... :mrgreen:

Oh, make sure you have your VISA or it could be a painful return back to OZ without stepping out of customs. Security is so overboard, it's not funny.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 am 

cheers Soda. One of the main things i wanna do in the US is try loooots of food. Man Vs Food has me chomping at the bit to try some of the delicacies. The challenges not so much, as that is something i keep for a regular haunt when i have tried everything.

i have a thing for sneakers, so i will probably go nuts there...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 pm 
Founding Board Member

Congrats Heath.

I went a year ago and had a blast.

Soda has NY pretty much pegged. The only thing i'd add is try and see an NBA/NFL game. Either in NYC or Portland. Madison square garden in NYC would be ideal. But i'm a big sports fan, you may not be.

If you ever watched the late show with david letterman, you might know Rupert Gee and the Hello Deli...go pay him a visit, he actually works there and will serve you and make you the best sandwiches you've ever had...from the smallest shop you've ever seen.

Also accomodation in NYC can be pretty expensive, so you can actually stay in New Jersey, the other side of the river, catch a train, 5-10 mins later you're on Manhatten Island....which is really the only part of NY you need to worry about. You'll be saving 50% on anything you'll find it NY.

In Vegas....forget shopping, too much fun to be had elsewhere. Go see some shows.
- You've got the magician side of things, Criss Angel, and Penn + Teller (saw Angel, P+T cancelled a week prior! :cry:)
- You've got the comedy side of things, a million and one acts you can see.
- You've got the naughty side of things, burlesque dancers, tittie shows.
Or you can combine the last 2 and see 'Strip Comedy', its an improv battle between 2 teams, and each round the losing teams 'cheerleader' has to take something off. Saw that with the missus and she loved it. Some of the hottest chicks you're likely to see too!
- I would also recommend going to the 'Goreatorium'. If you like your horror movies, you'd probably know of Eli Roth, well he designed this place. Its essentially a 'ghost train' style walk through what you'd see on a horror movie. Complete with special effects makeup and real life actors that will scare the fuck out of you. My wife just about left fingerprints in my arm she was holding on that tight! At the end of it you get to sit at a roof top bar which has one of the best views of the strip. Go at night.

As for eating heaps, KGB burger! Didn't go there myself, but saw the ads on the hotel TV and wow. Straight out of man vs food.
They also have a million and 1 buffets that are all you can eat. We went to 2. The first one was so good we skipped going to KGB burger to go to the second one......which is where i had some dodgy chicken and spent 4 days puking my guts up. So be wary.

There is also a hooters off the main strip. I'm sure you are well versed in what that contains, but let me add that my wife said that it had some of the best food she'd had on the trip (we did eat a lot of fast food...a LOT!).

You can also do some helicopter tours of the hoover dam or the grand canyon. We saw the grand canyon seperately and were having too much fun in vegas to do the hoover dam tour.

As for booking shows in vegas...anything big, book in advance. Any of the comedy, girlie shows don't book until you get there. They have ticket booths that offer big discounts on shows for that night, and the following night. We saved hundreds buying there.

You can also drink grog walking down the street. It is encouraged. I had some guy look down on me because my 10am slurpee did not contain any alcohol! :lol:

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 am 

sounds too good krudds... ive also heard a lot about the buffets, will try at least one. that Eli Roth thingo sounds cool, wifey and i love zombie movies so should be ok (is that one you need to book for).

looks like i will be going in june-july as my night job has lots of black out periods for holidays (april is all booked out)

Im not big on sports, but wanna see something (was thinking either seeing the mets or yankees if it is baseball season)

New Jersey sounds like a goer for accom. we were planning on going to Hoboken anyway to see the cake boss shop.

i think i need to go on a detox diet for 6 months to prepare...

one thing i havent heard anyone do is brewery tours in the US... might look into that (there is a CONVEY ISLAND BREWERY that i have tried that is the shizzle)

cheers guys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:31 am 
Founding Board Member

Nah you don't need to book for the goreatorium. You just rock up, pay your $20 each (or less) and they start walking you through soon after. It is usually just 2 at a time, easier to scare you that way. Its on the main strip, but inside on the second level in one of the centres. Its a little difficult to find, we didn't even know about it until we noticed the zombie chick out the front scaring all the asian tourists as they walked by. :lol:

It will be baseball season then. I think i went in Octobor/november and they were just finishing up the world series. There won't be NFL and NBA may be finished, or playoffs then anyway. So your best bet would be baseball.

Brewery tours...we looked into some. Had one pencilled in for Minnesota, but thats when i spent 4 days puking my guts up after vegas so it never eventuated.

Staying in jersey city is a good idea. Hoboken is literally one stop away from where we stayed, Newport. We stayed 5 mins away from the station, which is 5 mins away from the local mall...which has a good 50's diner/burger joint in it.
Have a look here...(http://www.panynj.gov/path/newport-station.html) and you'll see how easy it is to get in/out of jersey city/NY via the PATH trains. 1 stop one way and you're in hoboken. 2 stops the other way and you're at the World Trade Centre.
FWIW, this is where we stayed (http://www.expedia.com.au/Jersey-City-H ... 13&rm1=a2&) It is certainly not fancy, but it does the job. Right next door to a burger king too.

Coney Island is a decent hike away and we didn't bother. We wanted to visit Red Bank New Jersey, which you may know as the home of the quickstop from all the jay and silent bob movies, which was at least twice as far away as coney island but they had been booked out of all cars so we shelved it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Although the food over there is amazing and bloody huge serves, I felt clogged up from God only knows. Not sickly clogged, just felt like my insides were going through peak hour congestion daily.

A fair share of horn blowing too....

Like you Heath, I love eating and devouring donuts daily from the "Donut Pub" across the road from our apartment was only the beginning. The whole place is designed to keep you chomping. The American way I suppose.

Sisterhood Forever!