It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: travelling to USA next year... yippee!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

well we have sorted out a basic itinerary...

1 week NYC
2-3 days Vegas
2 days portland
2 days Disneyland

anyone have any pointers on what to do in NYC or Vegas... thanks for what has already been mentioned, just need a few ideas as i may have overlooked some important places to visit.

that Eli Roth horror movie thing in Vegas will be a must. any areas we should stay away from? wifey needs to feel safe at all times (she is a bit paranoid)

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Founding Board Member

You have to do an Elvis wedding in Vegas :). Wouldn't be right to go there & not experience that :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm 
Founding Board Member

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
well we have sorted out a basic itinerary...

1 week NYC
2-3 days Vegas
2 days portland
2 days Disneyland

anyone have any pointers on what to do in NYC or Vegas... thanks for what has already been mentioned, just need a few ideas as i may have overlooked some important places to visit.

that Eli Roth horror movie thing in Vegas will be a must. any areas we should stay away from? wifey needs to feel safe at all times (she is a bit paranoid)

cheers

Stay away from harlem in NY. Think its roughly 80th st and up. There is nothing of interest that far north in manhatten anyway.

In Vegas, you won't even need to leave the main strip.
Only time we did was to take in the strip comedy show, which was at the RIO, a 10 minute walk off the main strip, which we did both ways at night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am 
Founding Board member | Mod

It's so easy to walk from a good neighbourhood, into a bad one. Did that a few times but being a little street wise doesn't go astray. Everything just rolls into each other and where we stayed was a little rough at night (West Village...14th Street between 7th & 8th Ave) but only 2 blocks away was the Highline, Chelsea market, Meatpacking district and a few blocks south were areas filmed in Sex In The City (Famous cupcake store there, Browstones and the comedy stretch to name a few).

My wife tells me that the East village was less seedy at night but the West Village alters from block to block. Just do as New Yorkers do and DON'T look at anyone, just walk straight, no eye contact, a little sidewalk swapping late at night and you'll be fine. Always a challenge but I enjoyed acting like a rude local bastard for authenticity.... :mrgreen:

Harlem can be rough but becoming more touristy these days. Take a Harlem Bus Tour in numbers which will be fine too. I've walked as far as 110th street but Krudds is pretty much on the ball, although we found an awesome Japanese resturant a few blocks west from the park. $45.00 for a feast of sushi/sashimi, soup and a free glass of wine at lunchtime. Went there twice it was that good!

Oh, and wander Times square within close proximity to the Ed Sullivan Theatre to hopefully get free tickets to David Letterman. Not a fan of the show but being in the audience was upbeat and a fun way to burn up a few hours. Bruce Willis was one of the guest when we were there in July. They film around 2:00pm for memory.

So many things to do in New York and felt the 3 weeks we were there was just enough to see and feel much of it. Never a dull moment and always something to do.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm 

Damn... :(

just found out the Eli Roth - Goretorium has closed down, filing bankruptcy just before Halloween... due to being sued by the company that did the branding... poo on a stick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:14 pm 
Founding Board Member

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
Damn... :(

just found out the Eli Roth - Goretorium has closed down, filing bankruptcy just before Halloween... due to being sued by the company that did the branding... poo on a stick

Damn...that sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 am 

just booked the first thing for the trip... got tickets to see Miami Marlins vs NY Mets.... got pre-release tickets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

@Krudds or SodaPop

just trying to decide on accommodation for NYC.

krudds - we like the look and price of the hotel you stayed at in NJ, how did you get from the airport to there? seems like a journey in itself...

Soda - where did you stay in NYC? just looking for something 'reasonable' in cost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 pm 
Founding Board Member

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
@Krudds or SodaPop

just trying to decide on accommodation for NYC.

krudds - we like the look and price of the hotel you stayed at in NJ, how did you get from the airport to there? seems like a journey in itself...

Soda - where did you stay in NYC? just looking for something 'reasonable' in cost

You can do it all on trains.

From memory there are 3 airports in NYC, we flew into JFK. From there we caught the airport train to Manhatten. From there you catch the subway and need to find your way to one of the train lines that connect you with the PATH train to get you to NJ. Walk from the station, maybe 10 minutes?

Once you get off the airport train the easiest thing to do is probably find a subway train that takes you to the WTC, there are quite a few, and catch the PATH train from there. It's a bit fiddly, but its doable and a shitload cheaper than a taxi....but you could always try that at any stage anyway. We basically did the journey at night (flew in 7pm-ish i think) and although its a little bit daunting we didn't have too much trouble. Workers at the train stations help you with directions and tickets etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

We lived in a private apartment on West 14th Street in West Village.

Was a couples private residence that they rent out from time to time.

Was about $256.00 USD per night. It felt like living at home which was good considering some days I just wanted to feel like I was.

Views were spectacular with 270 degree views on 13th floor with pretty much the entire northern aspects and the Empire State Building smack bang in front of us.

Not sure if that's your price range but can give you the link if you are interested. I thought it was a fair price for what we got.

Sisterhood Forever!