It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hyperspin general tips
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Thought it might be a good thread to have.

Any tips you have for Hyperspin plop em here. Maybe you had troubles with something in particular and you nutted it out, tell us what you did. Hopefully over time there will be some good bits of info to make everyones lives easier when they come to setup stuff and/or need to reload.

To properly use the high score.dat file you need a version of MAME that supports hi scores. The official MAME releases no longer support this as they removed the feature as 'it was against the principal of being true to arcade machines". Fair enough but we don't leave our machines on all the time so a high score retention ability is a must. The hiscore.dat file should be present on the HS drive but if not you can find it at http://highscore.mameworld.info/

The version I now use is MAMEUIFX32.exe which apart from the hi score function has an easier to navigate backend for setting stuff up. Be sure to get the version that matches the ROM set you have (current HS drive has ver 0138). This version can be found here... http://www.emucr.com/2010/05/mameuifx32-0138.html?m=0 Note: Not all the download links work but you should find one that works from that site.

You need to setup any relevant paths to directories (ROMS, nvram, hi and whatever other directories are relevant.) To enable saving you must point MAME to the 'hi' directory and you cannot have cheats enabled. Disable the exit confirmation (otherwise it conflicts with HS).

Don't enable Hyperlaunch. While it will still work games like NBA Jam won't save your progress whereas with HL disabled it will. Disabling the exit conf earlier enable you to exit back to HS the normal way. NBA Jam (and various other games) use the NVRAM folder (non volatile RAM) to store records so you must have the path to NVRAM correctly mapped in MAME. It seems that using Hyperlaunch blocks MAME from accessing or writing to this folder hence your records vanish on power off.

Remember to update HyperHQ to point to the new MAMEUIFX32.exe

If you do choose to use Hyperlaunch you need to modify the AutoHotKey script, 'Hyperlaunch.ahk'. In the scripting you will see the argument for launching MAME, you need to change the .exe name to match the new version. Save and recompile using AHK. You can't change the name of the MAMEUIFX32 to just MAME or Windows has a sook and won't launch it without a user prompt.

I also found that mapping your controls (ie: P2 buttons 5 & 6) is more effective if you do it through MAME direct - that is, launch MAME outside of HS and map the keys then they will stick (thanks Danny).

If you want the bezel artwork enabled (if it isn't by default) edit the MAME.ini file and ensure bezel art (or similar) is set to 1. Additionally you will want to set Crop artwork to a value of 1 as well to utilise the full vertical height of the screen.

To enable trackball be sure to assign the value of 'mouse' for trackball in MAME as well as enabling trackball in HyperHQ. Adjusting the sensitivity in HyperHQ doesn't seem to have much effect but this may also be dependant on the trackball used.

I'll add anything else I think of as I remember them. Feel free to add your own.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

Post subject: Re: Hyperspin general tips
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:16 pm 
Founding Board Member

Quote:
Don't enable Hyperlaunch. While it will still work games like NBA Jam won't save your progress whereas with HL disabled it will. Disabling the exit conf earlier enable you to exit back to HS the normal way. NBA Jam (and various other games) use the NVRAM folder (non volatile RAM) to store records so you must have the path to NVRAM correctly mapped in MAME. It seems that using Hyperlaunch blocks MAME from accessing or writing to this folder hence your records vanish on power off.

This could solve the saving issue i had with NBA Jam back in the whirlpool days which never quite got resolved! :shock: