It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing the Windows Boot screen image
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Thought I'd share what I've found out about replacing boot screens. There are 2 options, using a 3rd party application or directly editing the boot.ini file.

First things first though:

This can stuff things up if you muck it up causing Windows not to boot so only do this if you're confident and don't mind so much if you bugger things up.

Right, that's out of the way (note, it's unlikely things will break badly but there's always a chance.)

So, the 3rd party way. This is a fairly straightforward process but it does add extra software to the PC. In my experience it didn't seem to slow things down but the reality is there is one more process going on. Head over to http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/ to grab a copy of Stardock's Bootskin. Dead simple, run it, select the new boot screen from the choices or get more skins online (there are loads), make your selection, apply and done. If you want to create your own bootskin for Stardock to use, I found a good tutorial here. You can even have an animated boot screen with this method.

The other way is less mucking about and you are editing your boot.ini file so it may be wise to back it up first, just to be safe or at least set a System Restore point. This method only allows for a static image.

First, create your boot image remembering it needs to be 640 x 480 pixels at 16 colours and saved as a bitmap. If you have a 16:9 or 16:10 screen you will need to factor in distortion as the image will be stretched horizontally. This is more trial and error than anything. Any program will do for this, Paint, Photoshop etc but if you are importing an existing image into Paint, chances are that when you downgrade the colours to 16 it will go screwy. If you have access to Photoshop this is a better option. One way to do it is use the 'Save for Web' option and save as a 16 colour GIF then open in Paint and save as a Bitmap 16 colours. This will have far less effect on the colours this way.

Save the file as boot.bmp to the Windows folder, eg: C:\Windows\boot.bmp

Right click My Computer then select Properties.

Click the Advanced tab then go down to Startup & Recovery and click Settings.

Under System Startup click the Edit button to open the boot.ini file in Notepad.

You are looking for the line that starts out "multi(0)...." At the end you will see /fastdetect

Directly after this type the following /bootlogo /noguiboot

Now the end of the line should look like /fastdetect /bootlogo /noguiboot (those spaces are meant to be there so be sure to put them in.

Save the file (Yes to overwrite if prompted), exit Notepad, click OK the Startup & Recovery dialogue then OK on the System Properties dialogue and you're done.

When you reboot you should see your shiny new logo instead of the XP one.

The format MUST be 640 x 480, 16 colours, if it is not the image won't load and all you'll get is a black screen. Windows should still boot but you won't have any boot screen at all so be sure your image is correct. Saving the final bitmap out in Paint is a good way to ensure the colours stay as they should

Good luck!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

Post subject: Re: Replacing the Windows Boot screen image
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:02 pm 
Founding Board Member

Thanks Scott, nice straightforward easy to understand instructions.

Just the thing for a dummy like me.

11 Cheers for Binary!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:06 pm 
Founding Board Member

Worth a try, thanks mate!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

Just found that it is also possible with dells. see linky

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/46807 ... st-bitmap/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:18 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Thanks so much for sharing BIG... :mrgreen:

Gonna have to give this a go. Seems easy enough. I suppose the next question is creating a boot screen under Win 7? I would assume it's much the same, just different locations for the boot.ini file, etc...?

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:23 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Soda-Pop wrote:

Gonna have to give this a go. Seems easy enough. I suppose the next question is creating a boot screen under Win 7? I would assume it's much the same, just different locations for the boot.ini file, etc...?

Happy to share!

As for Win7 the boot.ini file was replaced with bootmgr.dll in the root directory :mrgreen: so as far as changing it goes it may be a case of a 3rd party app such as that Stardock bootskin however I don't know if it works under 7 or they released a compatible version.

Curse you Microsoft!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 am 
Founding Board Member

Thanks Scott, just the info I needed although I cant remember the last time I made a 4bit image!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:12 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Soda-Pop wrote:

*Disclaimer* I haven't tried this, and any time you f*ck with this type of stuff you run the risk of borking your system, requiring a rebuild, so be warned**

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/106861-how-change-boot-animation-windows-7-a.html

Gives you the gory details. Apparently there is an app link in there that does the hard work for you to. As I said I haven't tried it, but there are plenty of youtube vids of operational ones.

I reckon BIG's animated Head would look a treat as the startup screen. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:01 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Well, had a go this morning and appears from several reboots that this program below works a treat on Windows 7... :mrgreen:

These links came from the thread Woolfe posted....many thanks mate... :D

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/wi ... pdater.exe

Changed text ("To go fuck yourself Microsoft" & "Windows about to explode"), background colours and of course image. My first trial image was 800x800 and appears that any size can be used but yet to check.

To revert back, I grabbed the original windows BMP and was effortless and so far, no issues or a borked system. This program is so easy to use that it's not funny.

Grab the original Windows images here:

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/wi ... mation.zip

Time to create an image now but have to learn the animation process to groovy it up a little. Could be as many as 100 seperate images to create a decent loop... :shock:

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm 
Founding Board Member

Hey Soda I have used photoshop to create simple animations many times. Sounds like you know your way
around photoshop but here's a couple of video tuts on how to do it.

This video shows you how to use the "tween" function with the animation tool.