It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Version of OS to use?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:11 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

what Windows OS are everyone using?

Is it worthwhile to use MicroXP? or would that lose too many functions for hyperspin?

Post subject: Re: Version of OS to use?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:11 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

I use XP stripped right back using nLite. I then have it shelled via a program called... umm... Talisman. I use that one as I have the cab running Jukebox software as well so it goes to a screen with 3 options and 3 options only. Arcade Games, Jukebox or Internet.

I use Stardock Bootskin to replace the standard XP loader with my own logo. Don't even notice Windows is there.

Micro XP would probably be fine, as long as you got sound and video drivers (and ethernet if you want network access) then I can't really see a problem.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Quote:
Big Giant Head wrote:
I use Stardock Bootskin to replace the standard XP loader with my own logo. Don't even notice Windows is there.

Will have to look into this as I would like to override any XP themes and have it just load straight into Hyperspin on startup.

Is that even possible? Never tried it before.

As to trimming down XP, I was just going to turn off a host of background services not required, leaving only critical ones on. Would this be an equal alternative to Nlite BIG or would manually seting up my O/S be ok? Will be using XP Pro SP2 for reference and pretty familuar with many services and there functions.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
Founding Board Member

I think for some of the less computer savy awrtguma members out there it may be worth explaining how you 'strip down xp' and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:13 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

That would be very helpful for me!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:14 pm 

nLite will actually remove components altogether so in the end you have a more slender XP install. While turning services and such off will save resources you'll still have a fairly large OS footprint.

By using nLite you only keep in there what you need and it's a wizard style interface which walks you through each step and allows you to set things up for an automated install plus it lets you add drivers in as well so you don't have to fart about afterwards. Essentially, you can make Windows how you want it, taking out or leaving in what you want.

The link for the download is http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... Lite.shtml

You do it all within Windows and then burn a new ISO to use.

As for starting HS automatically you can do the usual adding a shortcut to the Startup folder and if you autohide the Taskbar and have a black desktop with no icons you won't see much of Windows however if you want complete hiding then shelling is the way to go. There are many ways of doing it (there's a way on the travelling drive but I haven't looked at that), the one I use as I mentioned is Talisman, ok it cost $35 to get a full copy but it's reasonably easy to learn just by poking around and you can switch from shell mode back to Windows if something goes wrong simply by a right click menu.

I know some shellers can be bitches and induce cold sweats but I find Talisman to be very good and helpful. So in theory you could use that to shell Windows and have the shortcut to HS in startup so all you see if anything is the shell which bears no resemblance to Windows.

The Stardock Bootskin is dead easy, install the bugger then select your bootscreen. It's fairly straightforward to create a custom bootskin, a little fiddly but not that hard. A tutorial for creating one can be found at http://www.wincustomize.com/article/97764

All I would add to that is if you are doing a boot screen for a wide screen monitor then you'll want to squash the image so it's skinnier by about 25% before saving as the 16:9 or 16:10 ratio doesn't get recognised and you end up with a stretched image.

Hope that is sort of helpful?

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 pm 

Instant Sheller is on the HDD, Best one i've ever used. It also can undo everything in 1 click;

*Don't mind the Mac like Bar, just a Windows 7 Theme*

Last edited by Aphexdash on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 pm 

Might give that a go at some point, looks good!

Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am 
Esteemed Sister

Im using win 7 enterprise 64bit, with 8gb ram, Hyperspin shelled with instant sheller and modified custom boot screen. System boots straight to intro movie then hyperspin no sign of windows at all. :mrgreen: :P

Not sure right place to put vid but you can see mine and how it can be done:)

Last edited by matrix881971 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 am 

your intro screen is uber awesome!

Founding Member