It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tool Talk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:43 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Well had a ball at Bunnings, bought a cordless circular saw and another cordless drill. Sweet! Going to be great to not have to worry about a cord with the saw. Eventually hope to get cordelss everything!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

Post subject: Re: Tool Talk
Founding Board member | Mod

Yeah, cordless has come a long way in the last 5 years. The Hitachi range is exceptionally good for heavy all day use. I know many tradesmen that swear by them, incl myself. Their aftersales are second to none also. I've still got tools I bought of theirs from 16 years ago and still kicking away from hard, everyday use. I punish my tools like no tommorrow btw. You can score a kit with 3 - 4 tools (Depends on the type of tool) plus 2 batteries for around 1k. Very good value for a good product that will last.

Protools (Subsiderary company of Festool) are an excellent choice in brushless technology but a premium price to boot.

On the cheaper scale, GMC aren't too shabby either and good warranties for home use.

Stay away from Metabo, Dewalt and late model Makita's. Dewalt are prone to failure, as too Metabo but Metabo have very poor aftersales for such a pricey tool. Only a handful of Makita's are really good. Specific models only!

If all else fails, Hitachi are easily a safe bet...Smile

Sorry, I love my power tools...I think I have all of them...lol

Sisterhood Forever!

Founding Board Member

What are your thoughts in the new Bosch 18v lithium-ion drills? I'm looking at getting the PSB cordless impact drill. Can use it for everything you use your normal drill for, plus has the added bonus of being able to be used as a hammer drill. Comes with 2 batteries with 1 hour charging time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:44 pm 

Quote:
krudds wrote:
What are your thoughts in the new Bosch 18v lithium-ion drills? I'm looking at getting the PSB cordless impact drill. Can use it for everything you use your normal drill for, plus has the added bonus of being able to be used as a hammer drill. Comes with 2 batteries with 1 hour charging time.

Bosch are ok but nothing special Krudds. For home use on the weekends, most tools will suffice nicely and don't think you can go wrong with any of them...ok...Metabo are pretty bad. I base alot of my recommendations on heavy use though which says alot on the integrity of a product though. I assume this Bosch you speak of is a 3 mode rotarty hammer drill? Haven't used any Bossh stuff in years (The last one exploded in flames on me...lol) but the cordless Hitachi Rotary hammers are bulletproof, lightweight and use 36v for memory.

Bosch make shit Spark Plugs, awesome diswashers and ok power tools. They are good all rounders. It all comes down to how much you depend on them.

N.B. - Most of my collegues use the cordless Hitachi stuff as I'm yet to convert until my current 240v stuff breaks and base my findings from alot of feedback and trial useage from fellow workers and suppliers/reps.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:45 pm 
Founding Board Member

Quote:
Soda-Pop wrote:
Bosch are ok but nothing special Krudds. For home use on the weekends, most tools will suffice nicely and don't think you can go wrong with any of them...ok...Metabo are pretty bad. I base alot of my recommendations on heavy use though which says alot on the integrity of a product though. I assume this Bosch you speak of is a 3 mode rotarty hammer drill? Haven't used any Bossh stuff in years (The last one exploded in flames on me...lol) but the cordless Hitachi Rotary hammers are bulletproof, lightweight and use 36v for memory.

Bosch make shit Spark Plugs, awesome diswashers and ok power tools. They are good all rounders. It all comes down to how much you depend on them.

N.B. - Most of my collegues use the cordless Hitachi stuff as I'm yet to convert until my current 240v stuff breaks and base my findings from alot of feedback and trial useage from fellow workers and suppliers/reps.

This is the drill i was thinking of getting...
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... _4262.aspx
Bunnings have it for somewhere between $280-300.
Being someone who can be very hard to motivate, and not one for planning, i want my tools to be ready whenever the inspiration strikes, the idea of 2 batteries and a quick 1 hour charge time is very appealing.
It's not going to be used to death, but will get a fair workout.

Going by the bunnings catalogue it doesn't have any hitachi stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:46 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

I got Ryobi (the 18v range), hoping they'll stand up to some punishment for me

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

Founding Board Member

Nice Drill!, I am jealous

Here's one I'd recommend Krudds:

http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au/Pr ... 18&CatID=5

Did I say it comes with 2 batteries? Why wait for battery to charge hey...Smile

Unsure on pricing but I'm estimating around the $350.0 - $400.00 mark. United tools should stock them.

As for your Bosch choice....it should easily do what you want for home use (Even you BIG...Smile). Both these tools carry much the same specs but if you want to save a few dollars, Bunnings stock GMC with aren't a bad tool. As said earlier, 2 year replacement warranty and have a few of their tools lying in my shed atm for home use. Their mulchers are fantastic btw...Razz

I will admit, I'm a little biased towards super duper gear but the Hitachi's are reasonably priced for the tool they are. I base alot of my choices from continuous use as I require upmost reliability without downtime.

Don't listen to me..I'm a fanboi....lol

If you want, I can ask my supplier and see what price I can get for one. I should be dropping in there next week.

Sisterhood Forever!