It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Mini visual pinball machine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:29 am 
AWRTGUMA Member

HI Guys

Got the bug again and would like to build a mini pinball machine using Visual Pinball and Hyperpin. Think it would be a nice addition to my cocktail cabinet I built a couple of years ago.

Has anyone had any experiance or suggestions? Do like Scotts Hyperpin machine
Got a 24" and 19" monitors lying around doing nothing and thought they would be perfect for a small machine plus easier to sell the idea to the wif :)

Been searching the forums but can't seem to find the minimum PC specs required for such a build. Sure I could throw an I7 cpu at it but does it really need it?
What I can determin is that I do need to get a decent graphics card that can handle 2 monitors. I have seen some say stay clear from Radeon and ATI cards

Then there is the age old question to paint or Vinyl. I do like Scott's artwork on his machine. Wondering what sort of cost would I be looking at for vinyl and if there is maybe anyone local in Adleaide that would be able to do it.

Sorry for all the questions :) early days of the build. I have loaded all the software on my home PC and I am hooked on Pinball :) brings back memories

Look forward to the replies and suggestions

Cheers

Craig

Post subject: Re: Help with Mini visual pinball machine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

no idea on the hardware specs...

what did you have in mind for the sides? graphics or flat colour?
if graphics then i might be able to set up the graphics, but cant print anything here (but i know a cheap guy in the city - Adelaide)

Danny at gameroom essentials might be able to point you in other directions for costing.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

For hardware specs go for mid range, an i7 would be overkill, I used an AMD A8 in mine and it handled everything quite nicely. If I was to do it again I'd probably go for an i5 to allow for a bit of headroom.

Graphics card - yes you do need a decent one but again a good mid range one should see you right. I had an nVidia GTX560Ti and it was great, I had cards as I had 3 monitors but you should be fine with just the one.

I also used Gig of RAM but only just discovered that one of the sticks was dead so I was really only operating on 2Gig! They say RAM is definitely a factor so the unexplained slowdowns I was getting was no doubt because of that. So yeh, 4Gig would be a good amount.

As for art I got mine printed by a mob called Essaitch IT and it cost me somewhere between $200 & $250 for a full size cab. Excellent quality and very durable. I'd advise going with printed unless your cab surface is 100% perfect.

Keen to see updates!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

Thanks for the reply guys.
I was hoping to use one of these for the video ASUS GT610-SL-2GD3-L 2GB GT610 PCI-E VGA Card as it is cheap and fanless but looks like I will need more gpu grunt. Just so many to choose from. See what 1 gig gx I can afford.
Been trying to get in touch with Danny about hardware. He must be busy with his big launch this weekend. Might have to pop in and see his new setup.
Heath I might need to get the name of the printer off you. Would like to use a local supplier if I can.
Still not sure of artwork though. I do like the look of yours Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

sent u a pm goochee64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm 

I'm pretty sure I still have the Photoshop files so I'd be happy to resize them to suit your cab if you wanted to go that way.

You'll definitely need more grunt than a 610 card, I'd say a 650 at the very minimum, preferably a 660 or a 560 if you can still find one (Ti version would be even better). You don't want to skimp on the GFX otherwise you'll have choppy graphics.

I have an IPAC here I can sell you if you're after one of those or a Mot-ion plunger kit. Got table legs as well.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:14 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

HI Guys

I have bought my hardware and starting to set it up before building the cabinet.
Having a problem trying to download VPinMAME_Cabinet_DLL_2.5.zip. The file looks to be corrupt on http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=6429
I don't suppose anyone here may have a copy? Scott maybe?
Cheers
CRaig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 pm 

goochee64 wrote:
HI Guys

I have bought my hardware and starting to set it up before building the cabinet.
Having a problem trying to download VPinMAME_Cabinet_DLL_2.5.zip. The file looks to be corrupt on http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=6429
I don't suppose anyone here may have a copy? Scott maybe?
Cheers
CRaig

Would you believe it... I do! I can't upload it here but I can email it to you, just need your email address. :mrgreen:

Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 am 
AWRTGUMA Member

Thanks Scott

I was able to get a copy from another source.
Thanks for the offer.

Looks like I have the software sorted and now for the woodwork.
Time to start building. Just need to sort out the side rails and lockdown plate. Being a MiniPin these are the next challenge.
If anyone has any ideas or experience that would be appreciated

Cheers
Craig

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 am 

goochee64 wrote:
Thanks Scott

I was able to get a copy from another source.
Thanks for the offer.

Looks like I have the software sorted and now for the woodwork.
Time to start building. Just need to sort out the side rails and lockdown plate. Being a MiniPin these are the next challenge.
If anyone has any ideas or experience that would be appreciated

Cheers
Craig

Good news!

If I had some sort of de-bigulator I could shrink my rails and lockdown bar down but alas, I don't.

Founding Member