It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to mame! Help me iron out the glitches in my machine??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:37 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

hey guys,
just purhased a mortal kombat 1 cabinet from gumtree which has been convereted into a mame machine.

The guy said it is 90% complete, just needs some software set up. I managed to get the buttons and joystick's working so it is playable. However i am having a few issues, maybe you can offer some advice.

1) Exiting the emulator and going back to the main menu on maximus rarely works. The button seems to be assigned to 'quit executable' ok in maximus and is wired ok (tested in winipac) but only sometimes works in games. It seems to work more frequently when i am playing an older , simple game (perhaps less load on the cpu)?? Did a fair bit of reading on google and it seems like a common problem that there is no definete solution to...

2) Many games do not work :( Just get the black screen of death. Or in the case of my favourite childhood game 'double dragon', it loads up to the intro screen but i am unable to start the game. DEVO!!!!

3) Maybe a simple thing i am missing, but how do you play a four player game on a 2 player machine ? What i mean is, for example, NBA Jam. I can play with another human player on the same team... but i'm unable to select player 3 or 4 so that he can be on the other team. From memory machine had 4 controller's set up and to do this it would have to be player 1 v player 4 etc.

I checked the versions, i have maximus arcade 2.10 and winipac 1.2.154
it seems like a good looking front end , or are there better?

anyways any advise would be appreciated, im really excited about getting the machine finished and reliable!

ryan

Post subject: Re: new to mame! Help me iron out the glitches in my machine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Hey Ryan, MAME can be a bugger to get 100% but it's worth the effort! On to your questions...

1) Exiting the emulator and going back to the main menu on maximus rarely works...
I'm not that up with Maximus as I use Hyperspin frontend but I found these bits of info (you may already have come across them).

Quote:
- The MA default 'quit executable' button is END or HOME. I find that using a key that most emulators don't usually recognize works best.

Quote:
Sometimes you will need to double punch the 'quit executable' button. This may be necessary because an emulator is using an usually high amount of the cpu processor and MA can't see the keypress right away. Generally holding the key down for 1 second or more is enough.

More info here: http://maximusarcade.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=825

2) Many games do not work Just get the black screen of death...
Make sure your ROMs are the same version as your MAME launcher. While different versions will generally play together, the chances of certain ROMs not working are greater. That said I have a later version of MAME than my ROMs and there are no major issues. If the exe is an earlier version than the ROMs things may not be so good. Alternatively try another build of the MAME exe as some of them are compiled differently, plus it's much easier to replace the MAME exe than ROMs! I have a good MAME build, do a search for "mameuifx32_0144_final.exe" and give it a go. If you can't find it let me know and I'll upload it to my website and send you a link.

You might also see if you can get another version of the individual non-working ROM, I'm pretty sure my Double Dragon works so I can also get that to you.

3) Maybe a simple thing i am missing, but how do you play a four player game on a 2 player machine ? What i mean is, for example, NBA Jam...

When you're in the game in question, hit TAB on the keyboard which will bring up the Dip Switch menu, select "Game Settings - this Game" (or similar, can't quite remember the exact terms), then you can select 2 or 4 players. Being on 2 will put you and the other player on opposing teams. You would need to switch back if you want to play on the same team as there isn't an option to do this any other way.

Quote:
it seems like a good looking front end , or are there better?

As I mentioned before, I use Hyperspin which is awesome but there is a bit of setting up involved (we have all the stuff needed), GameEx is pretty good, a simpler interface but easier to set up and get gaming quicker, the full version costs $25. As for others some other members might have some suggestions of ones they've tried!

Quote:
anyways any advise would be appreciated, im really excited about getting the machine finished and reliable!

You'll get there, it might be frustrating at times but we'll get you there!

One thing you might want to check is if sticky keys have been disabled in Windows as that can be a right pain!

Keep us posted!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:35 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

thanks scotto! Great tip with the dip switch settings :)

It would appear maximus is no longer supported or being updated, and the bug with exiting out of games has never been fixed. So i'm looking for a new emulator.

I downloaded and tried a few on my PC last night (hyperspin, mala, game ex). I want something really simple to use. I may someday follow your path if i build a few machines, and hire them out here in perth! So baically i want something really simple to navigate.

To me, hyperspin is very complicated. Not only with setting up, but the menu's as well. I dont like how games are in categories (fighting, sport etc). I think your average person wouldnt know which category to look for to find their favourite game. Maximus was perfect for me, just a list of games and a picture preview on the side.

MALA might be a winner as it is quite customisable , well supported and simple to use.

One thing i noticed with all emulator's - when you load them, there is a list of approx 8000 rom's. There is no option to 'scan' for the roms you have on your PC and only add them to the menu. So i would assume the idea is that one would put all the roms they own in the rom directory, and manually go through the menu , testing to see what works / doesnt work and deleting the ones you don't have. What an arduous process - i really hope there is another way.

Setting up hyperspin looks ridiculous, from the brief look i had at it, editing the database of games involves opening a completely non-user friendly text file (or maybe .xml file , something like this) and manually removing each entry.

None of this is really my idea of a good time! Now i noticed on whirlpool there was a hard drive of some sort being passed around - i am HOPING this drive contains all the roms, together with a frontend, all set up and ready to copy and play! If so, that would be AMAZING - please advise if this is the case, and how do i get my hands on it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

AphexDash has the pants under his supervision at the moment. I am looking forward to getting it too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

What pants? Am I missing something? :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

First you have to keep it in your pants if you want to see what's in the pants.

By the time I get my hands on them, they will be soiled....:(

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

well i wouldnt mind knowing what's in the pants before i get the pants, so i know if it's what i'm after

or did i just completely screw up the analogy? :P

whats on the bloody hard drive and how do i get it? :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 am 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

it stems from the whole "sisterhood of the travelling pants" analogy. we are the AWRTGUMA sisterhood, and the travelling pants is the Hyperspin configuration, setup with roms and such.

but we just like to drop anything suggestive at the drop of a bees pube... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 am 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

fair enough - well if it's hyperspin and it's set up ready to go with all rom's... then i shall join the cue and wait my turn :)
Until then i will put up with what i have!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Haha yes, the pants are approaching legendary proportions!

The new pants, or version 2.0, sound even more awesome than the original setup. Aphexdash is preparing them for an epic journey around Australia chock full of goodness. The setup will be minimal which will be the icing on the cake.

I still have the bits and pieces which make up the original pants if you're interested. The hard work is done and you'll just have some minor setting up of paths etc for MAME (a bit more for other emulators). Happy to copy it all over to a hard drive for you.

If not I've heard Mala is pretty good and relatively straight forward to set up.

As for the ROM list I think all you need to do is tell MAME to only show available ROMs, even though it's showing 8000+ in the main window there's a good chance you'll have less than half of those available. Just launch the MAME exe directly and you should be able to find that option.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member