It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reset key mappings in MAME?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

OK.. somehow my little one changed something so that when he pulled down on the joystick, it would cycle thru all sorts of weird and advanced options.. like screen position x and y, etc.. not sure how but if he pulled down and held the joystick down it came up and then would cycle thru a heap of them.

Anyway, went into the menu to turn it off and for some reason it was set to kdb dwn or whatever.. I though I cleared it.. run the game again, and yep all fixed....

EXCEPT... some of the settings seem to be per game, so another game her has altered the screen position so bad you cant see any of it. (3rd hand account from my wife)... so I went in there and now the default button for menu does not bring up the menu... I think from memory it was TAB.

So which file is this in.. I want it back to whatever the normal mame defaults were.. I tried resetting settings within mameui and that did not change anything.. and I cant see any options for it in Mala...

Any thoughts??

Post subject: Re: Reset key mappings in MAME?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

OK.. found the same files on my PC where I would have originally downloaded, so I probably just need to copy the right config file... I have run it on my PC and it is correct..

On another note.. I have also found a new version of mameUI.. but when I try my roms it comes up with a heap of "missing" files... are ROMS set to a particular version of mame?? Do they need to be recompiled or something?? Bit confused, just thought they would work with the new mame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Kingy wrote:
OK.. found the same files on my PC where I would have originally downloaded, so I probably just need to copy the right config file... I have run it on my PC and it is correct..

On another note.. I have also found a new version of mameUI.. but when I try my roms it comes up with a heap of "missing" files... are ROMS set to a particular version of mame?? Do they need to be recompiled or something?? Bit confused, just thought they would work with the new mame.

Yes and no :roll: A general rule of thumb is to keep the ROMS up to date with the MAME UI which can be a right pain in the bum but through my own experience I've found if it's not a big change in revisions things seem to be ok - but I haven't tested that extensively. I know my whole setup is horribly out of date but I'll get around to fixing it... one day. But essentially you can run a newer UI with older ROMs.

Stating the obvious but just make sure the UI has the correct paths.

As for your controls if you launch the MAME UI direct from Windows (don't have the front-end running) you can reconfigure your controls and they should stick.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Well I found this today...

Quote:
Why doesn't the Tab key work anymore?

Most likely you have re-configured the "UI Configure" key, normally Tab, to something else. To restore the default settings, the quickest way is to delete the default.cfg file from the cfg/ subdirectory below the main MAME directory. However this will remove any other general input changes, too.

If you have settings you don't want to lose, you can also edit default.cfg with any text editor, since the input configuration files are in XML format. Open the default.cfg file and find the line that says <port type="UI_CONFIGURE">. Delete that line and all the lines down to and including the next </port> line; this should be five lines. Save the file.

So that is my original problem.. the TAB key no longer worked and therefore in game I could not bring up the Menu.

I could not find where you set this within mame itself (running direct as you suggested).. so will have a go at editing the XML directly.

As for ROM sets... yep thinking it is a big pain the bum!!! I have started DL a newer ROM set that is hopefully compatible with the newer mameui I DL as well.. main reason is I would like hiscores and/or save state to work and it seems it is supported better in the newer UI, but therefore I need newer ROMS...

I even waded thru an hour of mucking around with clrmamepro to repack the ROMS, but of course got to the end of the process and you needed the "update" ROMS, which I think is the set of new compatible ROMS that are changed, but I have no idea what version the original ones are, and all the update packs seem to be one version to the next.. ie. 133 to 134... so that was a waste of time.. Much easier to just blow 28GB of my DL limit I think! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm 

Sorry mate, mis-read!

Try this...

Why doesn't the Tab key work anymore?
Most likely you have re-configured the "UI Configure" key, normally Tab, to something else. To restore the default settings, the quickest way is to delete the default.cfg file from the cfg/ subdirectory below the main MAME directory. However this will remove any other general input changes, too.

If you have settings you don't want to lose, you can also edit default.cfg with any text editor, since the input configuration files are in XML format. Open the default.cfg file and find the line that says <port type="UI_CONFIGURE">. Delete that line and all the lines down to and including the next </port> line; this should be five lines. Save the file.

See how that goes!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Well I did delete the default.cfg and that worked a treat... I opened the file initially and could see the setting but just deleted the whole file than pick apart the XML.

However the strangest thing.. my son was playing again and he was pulling down on the joystick and the options were coming up again!!!! WTF!!! I went into the menu and sure enough, the option (forgot what one it is) was back to being set as keyboard down. So he must go into the menu somehow and change that, or something else he is doing is changing it. I have a button mapped to TAB (which is labelled MENU).. so not sure if he is going into the menu and changing it or what.. I think I might change the MENU button to be one of the shifted keys on the ipac, so you have to hold down two keys to actually get into the menu.. though the little bugger will probably just copy me and do that as well! :lol:

I also need to change the exit defaults as well as I think it is hold down player 1 and press player 2.. but in the choas of a few games my wife said my son will be hitting the P1 button and then she also dies and presses the P2 button and the game quits.. apparently after 50 off levels of bobble bubble, this is not a good thing! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 pm 

Odd. Remapping is probably a good idea!

I have also fallen victim to the overly enthusiastic pressing of P1 & P2 resulting in an unwanted exit!

Founding Member