It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Button to turn PC on from CP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Can't comment on the Dell starting button business (curse you Dell!) but I can tell you that on a standard ATX power supply 24 pin connector the green wire and any black wire will power the PSU on. That said it doesn't really solve your power on dilemma for the motherboard.

Dos the motherboard have those little power header pins?

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

I'm assuming the black is your common for many functions and the green for booting up only?

If so, remove the green wire from the 24 pin plug completely and wire your microswitch as normal.

Seems to me that it's conflicting with something else and it may be as simple as removing that aspect completely for your purposes.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Big Giant Head wrote:
Can't comment on the Dell starting button business (curse you Dell!) but I can tell you that on a standard ATX power supply 24 pin connector the green wire and any black wire will power the PSU on. That said it doesn't really solve your power on dilemma for the motherboard.

Dos the motherboard have those little power header pins?

I don't think so... from memory (have noo looked at it recently) the problem lies on the fact that the front I/O panel has a physical switch mounted directly onto a PCB board.. which also includes USB and sound. Then the PCB board has an IDE type ribbon cable (dont know what they are called but think HDD IDE cable) which goes from the PCB to the motherboard. If it was the normal little power/LED/reset headr config like every other PC I would know exactly which cable I need to slice in to or connect direct to the MB. That is why I was thinking maybe I could go to the 24 pin connector.. I can pretty much guarentee the Dell wont be the "normal" green wire..

If I was more handy with a soldering iron then perhaps I could bypass the physical switch on the PCB board and solder the wires onto it somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Soda-Pop wrote:
If so, remove the green wire from the 24 pin plug completely and wire your microswitch as normal.

Yeah I am thinking this might be the next option to try, assuming that the green wire will fire it up, or if it only fires up the PSU and not the whole system.

Last edited by Kingy on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 pm 

Kingy wrote:
Soda-Pop wrote:
If so, remove the green wire from the 24 pin plug completely and wire your microswitch as normal./quote]

Yeah I am thinking this might be the next option to try, assuming that the green wire will fire it up, or if it only fires up the PSU and not the whole system.

I see what Soda is saying, remove those wires (or splice) from the ATX connector and wire them direct to a power button on the cab and plug the ATX connector in as normal. Theoretically once you trigger the ATX power it should send power to the board starting the thing.

To be sure you have the right wire get a paperclip and short the green and black wires and see if the PSU fires up. Maybe insulate it too in case.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

The green wire should be an "NO" (Normally Open) Circuit and have no bearing on having it disconnected from the ATX plug. Well, at least from a logical point of view anyway from my experience with wiring circuits. As long as you leave the black wire intact as normal, everything in theory should work as that will be required for other power functions on M/B to work.

I'm intrigued to hear the outcome. Somehow logic as we know it may be fruitless on a fruitcake of a DELL.

Get a bloody Gigabyte board or something next time will ya... :lol:

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Soda-Pop wrote:
Get a bloody Gigabyte board or something next time will ya... :lol:

hahaha... funny you should say that.. I am in the process of moving the study and doing a cleanup and apart from throwing out 15 odd PC power cables and 15 odd mini USB cables I found enough spare bits (graphics cards, memory, old MB and CPU, 8 HDD) I was thinking maybe I just build a new MAME PC!!!

I vaguely remember playing around with shorting pins on a power supply, but not sure if that was in my test for the power to LEDs or to actually fire up the PC.

When all the house reshuffling is done I will have a crack at it.

(Initially I had a gateway PC/box which had a simply two wire power button and that is what I planned on using until I bougth the SFF Dell for more grunt by the time I actually got around to finishing the project)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm 

A lot of Motherboards (Not sure about Dell/HP) have a feature called "Power On AC" or "Power Up by AC" which means when the PC gets power it automatically boots. That's how I've got my MAME PC rigged, so when I flip the switch for the powerboard the cabinet comes on and the PC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Aphexdash wrote:
A lot of Motherboards (Not sure about Dell/HP) have a feature called "Power On AC" or "Power Up by AC" which means when the PC gets power it automatically boots. That's how I've got my MAME PC rigged, so when I flip the switch for the powerboard the cabinet comes on and the PC.

Thanks... I will check it out...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 pm 

Hey Kingy it's usually under the "Power" menu.