It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Button to turn PC on from CP
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

i googled a bit just then, as i want to solve the problem for my own cab as well.

in the Bios under power management, there is a setting AC RECOVERY, set that to ON. what that does is when you power up the pc externally (say from the wall socket) it will boot automatically. Dont know if that will work. I will try it tonight or on the weekend with my GX520

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:53 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
i googled a bit just then, as i want to solve the problem for my own cab as well.

in the Bios under power management, there is a setting AC RECOVERY, set that to ON. what that does is when you power up the pc externally (say from the wall socket) it will boot automatically. Dont know if that will work. I will try it tonight or on the weekend with my GX520

Did it work??? Might give it a go myself...

I was thinking that at some point there must be a electronic contact made to complete the circut, so perhaps I could solder in the wires to the back end of the dell button where it joins the PCB and try and bypass the button that way... otherwise the lower back panel will eventually be a door, so I could just mount the PC facing backwards on that side of the cab, so you just have to open the door a few centimetres to access to the button... was probably going to mount it like that anyway to access the DVD drive, but my initially preference was of course a way to fire it up from the control panel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 am 
Founding Board member | Mod

I remember a little while I heard that you can jump start a PC by shorting 2 wires on the 24/20 pin socket from PSU to motherboard. All I know is it's a common technique used by the savvy. I'm fairly sure it boots the PC by shorting the green and common. Add a switch in between and voir la! The same wires will shut down PC also, much the same as the front case switch by holding button down longer.

Might pay to read up on this as it can be done but don't want to give false wiring tips until I'm sure I know which wires they are.

Edit:

This link might help?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6127130_test-de ... upply.html

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 am 

did that method the other day to test out some bits. it is green and black. but i didnt think that i could do it that way on the dell :facepalm:

instead of butchering the small form factor supply in the dell box (they are exxy to replace) i will buy a atx extension cable and butcher that.

thanks for pointing that out Soda...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 am 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
did that method the other day to test out some bits. it is green and black. but i didnt think that i could do it that way on the dell :facepalm:

instead of butchering the small form factor supply in the dell box (they are exxy to replace) i will buy a atx extension cable and butcher that.

thanks for pointing that out Soda...

OK... that seems to make sense...

So you buy something like this: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_li ... &sid=57142

Then you cut the green wire and connect to one part of the switch, and then cut the black wire and connect that to the other end fo the switch. Then when the button is pressed it causes the shortening out off the green wire to black and sure fire up the power supply... if the rest of the wires go to to the motherboard as normal, then all other operations should work as normal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:35 am 

there is always a 'should work' as dell pcs are a pain in the bum. but for the price of a $3.00 cable from ebay i am willing to try it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am 
Founding Board member | Mod

Kingy wrote:

So you buy something like this: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_li ... &sid=57142

Then you cut the green wire and connect to one part of the switch, and then cut the black wire and connect that to the other end fo the switch. Then when the button is pressed it causes the shortening out off the green wire to black and sure fire up the power supply... if the rest of the wires go to to the motherboard as normal, then all other operations should work as normal?

Yep, pretty much. It should work exactly how a power button on front of case would.

Let us know how you fare Kingy.

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier in the thread....DOH!

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:11 pm 
Founding Board Member | Retailer

just piggyback the plug with a paper clip to try it out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Took the 24 (or could be 20, did not count) pin plug out, used paper clip on green wire and black wire next to it as per instructions and the power supply winds up big time.

Then took a piece of wire and put each end into the top of the plug (to simulate it being plugged in) and it fired up the power supply.

Then took two pieces of wire, put one end of each into the top of the plug and the other end on a microswitch... press the switch and the power supply fired up...

As you can imagine I was getting quite happy... last test needed.. plug the 24 pin plug back into the motherboard, then plug the two wires back in and tried the switch... power supply whirls up again, but no bootup it turns out.. also the issue was as soon as you stopped pressing the button down it stops.. I thought once it was connected properly it would fire it up and then all be ok getting a signal back from the motherboard, but when I took the wires out and pressed the proper power on button, the power supply starts up but completely differently.. no big whirring from the fan, and you can hear the hard drives start up, etc.. seems like the trick is in realilty purely to test if a power supply is completly dead..

My other thought was to see if I could connect straight to the physical dell switch, but not sure that will work and last time I tried to get to the back of the switch I accidentally pulled of the heatsink!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:51 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Well this is still a bit of an issue for me and now that I have moved the cab into a carpeted room it is more of an issue as it is harder to slide the cabinet a bit to access the PC power button.

I have seen this sort of item on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Used-Working-Dell-Front-Panel-Interface-Cable-for-Optiplex-745-R6187-/140861488672?pt=AU_Components&hash=item20cbffbe20

I am wondering if I get one of these I could either mount it somewhere in reach, but then again I could just take the original one out and moutn somewhere I guess.. but I probably need extra length, so getting one I could try and test and splice into?

Alternatively, shouldn't I be able to insert wires into the main 20 (or 24 pin) mainboard connector that goes to the power supply.. so pressing the button would simulate somewhere pressing the normal button and the signal being passed thru the MB. I would need to work out from the power supply what pins start the power supply but that should be easy enough to at least test by elimination?

Thoughts?

Anyone else since come up with a solution with their own Dells?