It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newbies and there questions, hey!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Hey Scott thanks heaps, I will send the hard drive off on Tuesday. Long weekend!! I have a 750gig USB hard drive, will that be big enough? Hopefully it will be a little easier then sending an internal drive. Its getting close now to being playable! I rushed the control panel sticker and it came out a little messy. But its not terrible. Just have to mount the monitor and I can play it. The old arcade monitor was heavy as. I was thinking of using it again becuase the bezel and everything is in awesome condition but I dont have a chassis for it. Plus I going to put my Xbox 360 and dreamcast in there so an LCD screen is best. I used the old MCA joysticks but I need to get some more switches as some a pretty busted and I am not happy with how well they work. Wiring was an experience but all four joysticks and buttons work. Where did you get your coin mech you used in your video? That thing looks brilliant and its similar to the original one on the first Simpson cabs. My cab has this plastic peace of #%& on it that doesn't work well but the saving grace is it has a coin counter and a credit LED that I am hoping to sort out after I spend some time on NBA Jam and street fighter. It has been huge fun playing with jigsaws, circular saws, drills and routers. I will definitely be making another one.

Cheers mate.

Nic

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

That looks great! Makes me want to redo my control panel, I was never entirely happy with the player one controls location, no biggie though!

Yeh mate, the 750GB will be heaps.

Wiring is a task and a half hey? I remember wiring up a 4 player cab for a client and all I had left was blue wire, lots and lots of blue wire so as a result it looks like a big ole mess of Avatar spaghetti! God help me if I ever have to replace a wire in there haha.

I agree with you about using a LCD, while an arcade monitor would add authenticity if you're putting the XBOX etc in there then the LCD will be best. I wouldn't mind putting mine in mine but switching inputs would be a pain plus I don't think it's possible with my connections.

With my coin door I was lucky enough to pick it up second hand and they seem to be pretty hard to come by. It's from an original machine but I'm not sure which one. I need to look into getting the globes working on the coin slots, everything else works fine though.

The power tools are addictive aren't they? I had 3 machines in our lounge at one point :mrgreen:

I think I'll have a game or ten today now!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:47 pm 

Hard drive arrived today so I'll get to copying for you and send it back. I'll put the change from postage from the $15 you included in as well :)

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:47 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Hey Scott,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I'm a primary school teacher and just got back from camp. Hey, thanks so much for putting that hard drive together, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can repay the favor someday or help out another newbie! I am mostly there with the cab. I put 27inch monitor in to use with my xbox and for other emulators. Came out pretty sweet, overkill when playing simpsons though. I got all the player lights working, they stay on and got hot but they look too good not to have plugged in. Had to watch your video a few times to workout a few things but wiring was my favorite part. I am using the old speakers with a 5.1 logitech speaker (just using the fronts and sub with the cab speakers) Sounds good though but I want to go much bigger on the next one. I might try hook up a car amp and a couple of subs. But that's going to be a while away I think. I haven't got a coin mech yet, I have to try source one because the cab door has a huge black plastic coin slot and I am told regular coins mechs are too small to fit in the gap. But defiantly playing ready. NBA Jam has been going nuts! Its 95% done a few fiddly things like replacing a few joystick switches on the P3&4. Other then that I am wrapped, thanks heaps for your help! Its been brilliant.

Nic :geek:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 am 

Glad to help mate! Love seeing new builds come together :)

You're a teacher hey? What grade? My wife teaches grade 4 and a lot of my friends are teachers too. I am in no way jealous haha, except maybe for the holidays. I think a 27" is a good size, especially for the older games that don't go wide screen. So how are you connecting your XBOX and changing the input?

I found the cab acts like a natural amplifier for the speakers and the sub goes off, had the cops called one night because of it! :lol:

Hey check out this link, http://www.pinball.co/Products/5264-09-61000-1.aspx - it's a pinball spares place and they sell coin doors and I think size-wise they're pretty close. I got one for my pinball machine, the only thing is the wiring, I never got around to figuring it out so it was more just for show but I'm sure they'd be able to give you some advice.

One thing I should mention is that I found that when you are setting up the controls you'll need to configure player 4 outside of any emulator and launch the MAME launcher and configure from there otherwise the settings won't stick.

Oh and I sent the hard drive back to you yesterday, you should find all sorts of stuff on there!

Good to hear that my vids are helping people! :mrgreen:

Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Hey Scott, I teach year 5 at an all boys school. Pretty good school but the weekend sport is a massive pain. Cuts into my drinking time! Holidays are brilliant. I am looking at the ultimarc 360 adapter for my Xbox. I haven't bought one yet, I am more about old school games then new stuff. But I am a fan of tekken and street fighter games so I will need the Xbox. The screen has a HDMI input with a auto selector, just have to make sure the computer isn't turned on and it picks up they'd I signal and switches automatically. The pinball looks great, can you install a bumper in those? So far I have blown out the budget on my cab but I would love to attempt to build one of those! Luckily I have an understanding wife. I have found that I have had to change a few games around with the four players. My two six button controls are player one and two. The sub sounds great and the old cab speakers are loud! Even as rears, they fade out the two fronts. Thanks again for the hard drive. I have a heap of wii and 360 games if you are interested.

Thanks again

Nic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 pm 

You're a brave man teaching all boys is all I can say - but at least they're not high school boys!

I don't think I'll be able to connect my XBOX 360 as neither it nor the monitor has HDMI, ah well, I'll just leave it hooked up in the bedroom to the 40" :)

I tell you what, the pinball was a massive challenge but having done a MAME gives you a very good grounding to begin from. The software is a right bitch though, getting 3 different systems to work smoothly is one thing but then you have XML files to edit, DMDs to position and don't get me started on calibrating the plunger! Still, it was an awesome feeling to get it working and some of the tables are glorious such as T2 Chrome Edition. I did it more as a challenge to see if I could so I was very stoked with how it turned out. I have since decommisioned it and parted it out (well, some of it, still have quite a few bits in the garage!) Why I hear you ask? Well while I had heaps of fun on it I just wasn't using it as much as my arcade machine and it was a question of room. Yeh I miss it but what I'd really like to do one day is buy a ridgey didge pinnie. Maybe when we move down to the Gold Coast.

Yes I have an understanding wife too! At one point I had my upright cab, a cocktail and a lowboy in the front room (which is really my man cave). I had to move the lowboy on to make room for the pinball! Now it's just the upright but I have replaced the other machines with a 7.1 surround sound system - so I still win :) Oh and of course my corner of awesome with skateboards on the wall and loads of retro stuff. In short, I love my man cave.

I'd definitely be interested in the Wii games, my 360 isn't chipped but it might happen one day. Maybe I should send a drive to you...

Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Hey buddy, just got off the cab!! Holy shit, that is FUcking rad! That hard drive arrived today and it is incredible! I have been rocking the 2D fighting games all night. Some I hadn't even heard of! Man I am stoked! I can wait to get some beers and have a proper crack over the weekend. I broke the news to the wife that I'm not 100% happy with The Simpson cab and have started drawing up plans for the next one. The LCD sits on a fairly severe angle so the idea of guns is out! Plus I need some Golden Tee! I have started getting together some pics. im going geek & nerd images on one side and old skater shit on the other. I am a pretty big fan of street art and Shepard Fairy's obey skate design stuff so mix that in with some bones brigade, Santa crus and old vans & vision images. I have been looking at the xarcade design for control panel so I am going to make a huge one of those. I scrapped the deck idea because you just wouldn't have the room for two people to be comfortable playing. But that build won't start until the new year I think. Too much shit to do around the house. I pretty sure I maxed out my bad husband credits sorting this cab out for the rest of the year. The wii emulator works pretty good I think, I was playing super mario that other day, apparently you can hook up a wii remote too, haven't tried it though. Have you found that not all mame games use all 5.1 channels? The game system emulators work fine but some games just don't use the rear speakers. What year does you wife teach? Goldie would be a pretty sweet place to live! I go kayaking down there. That a big move! I moved to Queensland from Vic a few years ago. I Would only be more then happy to throw a hard drive together for you! I will throw some old skate movies on there for you. Mullen's round 2 still blows my mind. I am a massive neo geo fan to so I have a bit of that stuff too. Thanks again for all your help! I only need to replace the light tube at the top and it's complete enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:14 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

plus you cant really have guns on an lcd... except if you lay out heaps of cash and get the ultimarc ones... ive heard you can hack a wiimote...

I have plans on making a shooting cab one day... have the genuine happ gun off a time cop cab and the usb input pcb from an american army cab... now need to grow more brains to work it out and a time machine to make my dream of 48 hour days happen... or blow earth off its axis one of the two... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Ultimarc no good? I was chatting to a bloke from OZ Sticks that told me to wait for a Namco gun with recoil, it's supposed to come in soon. I will let you know how the wii mote goes. I'm not that into wii games though, so it might be a while. I have a my ps2 controller hooked up just to play a few games. Massive fan of Capcom & Neo Geo games not to mention dreamcast stuff! I was in Japan last year and fucking LOVED the SEGA arcade buildings they had. Not to mention the retro gaming shops! I have a heap of stuff 2D fighting games that will keep me busy. (thanks to Scott) Just need that 1.21 gigawatts, I just lost two weeks messing around with my cab so I need a DeLorean just to get time to play them.