It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini CNC Machine
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

Hey guys,

I know that this isn't really a arcade build but i though you would be interested.

I plan on building a small CNC router that will be used for; PCB's, wood work, plastics and (hopefully) Aluminium. I am making this for a school project and hope that it will give me a better understanding of the software and hardware involved in CNC machines.

The main base frame is made from 40x40 and 40x80 extrusion and the Z axis is made of 12mm aluminium plate. The side plates are made from 12mm steel plate.

The linear rails that are going to be used are the 16mm supported rail type that you can get from ebay.

The working area is 300x200mm with 110mm z.

I have started on the construction and will post pics up soon.

Thanks

Praneet

Edit: How do i get images to work? i tried the img thing but it didnt work?

Don't worry I got it working :)

Last edited by praneetn7 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mini CNC Machine
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 am 
Founding Board Member | Admin

How much do you reckon this will cost to build? What would be the maximum size of wood that could run through it?

As for the pics it should work with the [img] parameters but it does get a bit finicky with uploading images sometimes.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:40 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

Big Giant Head wrote:
How much do you reckon this will cost to build?

Hopefully it will cost about $1500, but that does include all electronics and stuff. You could easily make a machine that is made of MDF that is of similar sizes for much cheaper but I thought if I'm going to do it, I may as well do it right.

Big Giant Head wrote:
What would be the maximum size of wood that could run through it?

The maximum size in width of material would be about 500mm but the max cut width is only 300mm. As for length it can cut as long as you want if you want to fiddle with resetting the cutter for every 200mm of cut as the max cut in one go is 200mm.

Thanks

Praneet

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

So here are some build pictures!

I first stared out but cutting out the side plates. I had originally planned to get then CNC cut but the cost was just outrageous! So i decided to got the hard way and plasma cut them.

So here is the cut piece.

The cut wasn't very pretty and a lot of milling/grinding will need to be done for a nice finish. But hey, it was my first time using a plasma cutter and it is a learning experience so I'm happy with that :)

So after both pieces were cut, I spot welded them together ready to be clamped onto the mill.

So I got it clamped and started to mill. (Yes I know that it isn't the greatest way to clamp it but that's all we had at the time :))

So after a few passes this is what we got. (Ooooohh, SHNINY :D)

It seems the cutter is a little out of alignment, but this isnt a very vital edge so it'll be fine.

So here are the pieces after milling. You can see that there are still pit marks and stuff from my shoddy plasma cutting but that's all i could do without milling off the whole piece! It is starting to get surface rust already so I better put some paint on it soon! :)

After that we realigned the cutter and went to mill the bottom edges.

Seems that there is a little bit of chatter on the mill but you can't feel it with your finger so it must be a few thousands of a mill.

So here are the completed side pieces! Just have to mark and drill them now.

So that's what I have done so far and and will probably get the drilling done tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Thanks

Praneet :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

one of my mates started a business not long ago, and bought a cnc router with High speed spindle and type 3 software for about $1500 (thats what he said anyway)

i think the bed size was 600 x 600.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Geez dude you're moving faster than I do! Good stuff mate, eager to see the progress on this!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:19 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
one of my mates started a business not long ago, and bought a cnc router with High speed spindle and type 3 software for about $1500 (thats what he said anyway)

i think the bed size was 600 x 600.

Wow that is quite cheap! Well for me the electronics alone cost more than $500! I decided to get a larger kit than I need so that if I want to upgrade I won't have to fork out for new motors.

Praneet :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

Alright, update time!

Sorry for not updating this sooner. I was very busy with school work and actually kind of forgot about the thread!

So anyway let's get back to it :)

The side plate were drilled some cutting oil was used to cool the bit. Also a pilot hole was drilled for a larger bit.

The larger bit (25mm) was used to make a hole for the bearings that will support the drive screws.

Now the basic frame is laid out ready to be tapped where necessary for the connectors (more on that in a bit).

The extrusion has predrilled holes that are the exact size for a M8 thread.

The connectors are used to, well connect the pieces together! An M8 button head bolt is used to tighten the pieces to form a quick, simple and strong joint.

The connector assembly slides into the slots in the extrusion and is tightened with a through hole that is drilled where required.

Now to bolt other things to the basic frame these T nuts are used. Again they slot into the extrusion and a bolt is used to fasten the other components to it.

Once all of the T nuts are in place the whole frame can be squared and tightened.

When doing this make sure all of the T nuts are in place BEFORE tightening and squaring. I had to disassemble the frame multiple time because I forgot a nut here and there!

Now that the frame is complete I had to grind the welds off the side plates so I could separate and bolt them on!

That it for now. I'll be back soon :)

PS. This thread is mirrored on CNCzone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

looks good buddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am 
Founding Board Member

Wow! top stuff mate!

11 Cheers for Binary!!!!