It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It has Begun!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Sooooo, I've been wombling around the forums for a little while now, claiming that I was going to build a cab after I got married.

Well almost 3 months after marriage, I have finally managed some progress...

First my bits turned up... Happy.. except for the colour of the Blue joystick... its a bit more purple than I would like... But I can deal with that...
Attachment:
Bitssmall.jpg

Then after some measuring and mocking up with templates I decided to take the plunge and drill some holes. Mostly because I wanted to get an idea of spacing and also because I REALLY REALLY wanted to :roll: :lol:
(note this is probably not going to be the board I use for the CP in the long run, so I am ok with any mistakes I make as I can learn for the final product)
Attachment:
Mockupsmall.jpg

Aside from an unfortunate counter hole incident, it came up a treat. and I am happy with it thus far. But it led me to think how best to do the colours.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: It has Begun!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

I had 2 options that I have been seriously considering. the Background is Red, Yellow, Blue, Green for each player.
Option 1 - Each Player has a different coloured Joystick and buttons to the Background. So Red has Yellow buttons, Yellow Red, Blue Green, and Green Blue. With the 7th button on the 2 centre players been the same as the background.
Attachment:
YellRedbuttonsmall.jpg

Option 2 - Each player is the same colour as the background. With the 7th buttons on the 2 centre players, an alternate colour. (If I go this I will either get some black buttons or more of the same colour buttons)
Attachment:
YellYellButtonsmall.jpg

I have mocked it up using Paint.net, my skills are not very leet, so forgive the ugliness of it. My intention is to round the corners of Red and Green at the front, and to take a reasonable amount off on an angle at the back of Red and Green as well. I have marked where I Intend to put the Credit and Start buttons. My intention is to have a circle of characters in each Background as well. So TMNT, Captain Commando, D&D, Gauntlet characters, etc in each circle, suited somewhat to the player/colour backgroudn they are in. (Leonardo for blue for example)

What does everyone think?

Woolfe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:16 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

are they zippys or sanwas? still deciding whether to get more sanwas or zippys... have a few interested peeps wanting to build one with me. i have some yum cha happ clones that are reallllly loud and want to change them, but not sure what.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:27 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

I like option 1, nice contrasting colours.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Zippy's. The Pictures don't do the Yellow justice, its a lot brighter. I am pretty happy with all the colours except the Blue Joystick, but even it isn't so bad as to be terrible.

Yeah I liked option 1 as well. The colour contrast appeals to me.. But I am never sure due to a degree of colourblindness.. Sometimes I like things that other people go eww :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 am 
Founding Board member | Mod

Woolfe wrote:
But I am never sure due to a degree of colourblindness.. Sometimes I like things that other people go eww :roll:

Don't worry, I bought a bright pink schoolbag once, thinking it was orange. Pretty much became a poofter that day, according to the schoolyard wankers.

As for layout, looks fairly well spaced out. Still deciding between a 3 player or 4 player cab myself and watch with anticipation.

Rampage FTW! :mrgreen:

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 am 
Founding Board Member

Option 1 with the contrasting background looks best to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:11 am 
Founding Board Member | Retailer

Definitely layout 1 is better. Where did you get your parts from?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 am 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Soda-Pop wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
But I am never sure due to a degree of colourblindness.. Sometimes I like things that other people go eww :roll:

Don't worry, I bought a bright pink schoolbag once, thinking it was orange. Pretty much became a poofter that day, according to the schoolyard wankers.

As for layout, looks fairly well spaced out. Still deciding between a 3 player or 4 player cab myself and watch with anticipation.

Rampage FTW! :mrgreen:

I did buy a work shirt that I thought was blue in the packaging and under the Myer lights, but when I wore it to work it was Purple, and glowed in certain lighting... Fortunately my work work environment was a bit more forgiving of it. :lol:

I ended up with an angle of about 24 degrees on both sides. Pure fluke. I had set them to what I liked, then downloaded and printed out a protractor(I couldn't find my old one) and both sides were exactly 24 degrees... I think it will be enough. I am going to put it all together and test it with some mates, and at least 1 of them is a... big ... lad... So it should make a good test ;)

Gameroom, I got the majority of the stuff from Ozstick. I had a few bits and pieces already tho.

Woolfe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:02 pm 
Esteemed Sister

@woolfie option one for sure......good luck