It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PsYko's Upright 4 Player Cabinet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:51 pm 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Based the cabinet on the dimensions original MK machine (sides) with a custom control panel.

As you can see, the control panel is huge, this is why I want to mount a larger screen to the cabinet (thinking 32" LCD).
I can then widen the cabinet so the control panel doesn't hang over the edges so much (bit like an aeroplane at the moment).

I have laid out the control panel buttons to suit both neo-geo 4 buttons and capcom 6 button games. P1 and P2 have 7 buttons each, P3 + P4 have 4 each (couldn't find any 4 player games than needed any more than 2-3 buttons)

The PC is an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHZ with 4GB RAM, control panel is setup on an I-PAC 4. OS is Win7 64-bit running MAMEUI64 at the moment.

I've had the machine up and running, tested using a spare monitor and it works great. I did have some problems with buttons dying - they would just get stuck and stay pressed, I blame cheap switches for that (I've since replaced them all with better quality switches).

Whats left to do:

- Find suitable screen
- Speakers (thinking about 2.1 set, any recommendations?)
- Paint/Vinyl (brother in law works for a graphic design mob/printer so can do all my vinyls cheap)
- T moulding

Any Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: PsYko's Upright 4 Player Cabinet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:31 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Good stuff! A 32" monitor would look freaken sweet!

I think vinyl would look very nice as long as it's super sticky, don't want it peeling off!

My upright cab has the sub from a set of Altec Lansing 5021 in it and it is mighty powerful. I have run the satellites in there as well but they were a tad big so ended up getting some top end car audio speakers (normally wouldn't have but got them for a steal). Otherwise I can recommend Edifier 2.1 (big ass sub but can't remember the model) and they are a very good sound for around $150ish. Logitech z230 - not as good as I hoped as the satellites tend to distort at high volume.

Now you've posted you have to start work on it!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Nice mate, 32" would be good in a cab of that size. I've got a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 in my cab with the sub in the bottom. I hacked open the the speakers and mounted them inside the top of the cabinet and they are really loud, plus you adjust the sub to suit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 am 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

How big is the control panel? Whats the dimensions? And how much spacing do you have in between each set of joysticks?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 am 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Woolfe wrote:
How big is the control panel? Whats the dimensions? And how much spacing do you have in between each set of joysticks?

I'm at work till Tuesday, but when I fly home I'll post some more details on the CP.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am 
AWRTGUMA Newbie

Aphexdash wrote:
32" would be good in a cab of that size. I've got a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 in my cab with the sub in the bottom. I hacked open the the speakers and mounted them inside the top of the cabinet and they are really loud, plus you adjust the sub to suit.

27" LCD monitors (1920x1080 res) are fairly cheap these days @ <$400 so I might pick up one of those and try it (sure its not 32 inches, but whats a few inches difference anyway?) otherwise I would probably have to get a 32" LCD TV for around $500 but the resolution wouldn't be the same, nor will the refresh rate. Resolution would probably only be 1366 x 768.

I have a set of old Altec Lansing ACS45.1 Speakers, these really pump out the sound, would sound good for a Juke Box setup, but probably overkill for a MAME cab. I'll have to try some out at my local computer store :)