It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Kingy's Upright Cabinet.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:13 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

OK.. I guess I should really put down in wiriting what my project is.

Not sure how I originally decided to build a cabinet... most likely it was after I got a "copy" of MAME off my brother in law, I must have seen or heard about actually building a cabinet after playing the game a bit.

So many moons ago I purcahsed a heap of buttons, Mag stick plus (Red & Blue bat handles) and importantly the IPAC2 from ultimarc (when the exchange rate was way worse than it is now mind you!!! :lol: ).

Then ordered t-moulding, more buttons and bits from Ozstick.

Decided to go with 16mm MDF sides and control panel and 12mm everywhere else.

As you can see from my protoytpe pic (in the Welcome thread of mine) I purchased an old Gateway desktop pentium 2 or maybe 3 from a student for $100. I also bought a secondhand mother of a 21" CRT screen as I was going for easier setup and the ability to run Windows, DOS, etc. I setup the joystick on a test control panel, hooked it up to the IPAC and got it all working in basic form and as you can tell from the pic I adjusted the height and angle of the panel and the monitor.

Cut the sides out of large sheet of MDF (badly) and then attempted to get both sides even. Then routed the sides for the t-moulding (including a quick lesson on what happens when you push a router isntead of pulling :oops: ).. then that was it for about 4 years.

Of course I had very little written down so when I finally started the project back up before Christmas last year I had forgotten everything. Plus things had changed on the planning side as well. Anyway I ran out of time and did not get much done and the project was shelved again until about 4 weeks ago!

I had decided to dump my 21" monster CRT screen as I wanted to have the ability to rotate the screen depending on the game.. I hated the limitation it had on vertical games. As it turned out I decided to upgrade my PC 17" LCD to 22" widescreen LCD and the 17" was an awesome screen that was also mounted on a VESA rotating stand. Problem solved.. plus it was about 1/4 the weight!! Then more time passed and then I aqcuired a 19" LCD screen off my dad when he upgraded.. of course the first thing I did was go... hmm... that's would be great for the cabinet, so screen change again.. take the Samsung 17" off the rotating stand and put the 19" on.. worked find except while the 19" had VESA mounts, the stand it came with didn't, so I had to go buy a cheapy stand for the 17" to go onto (and is now in my daughters room).

I also found some ex lease Dell desktop in SFF going from graysonline for about $100, so i decided to upgrade the PC as well.. probably didn't need to, but the old one was only Running Win98 and I wanted to Run XP and also have the option to run iTunes or other emulaters and modern games.

Theme wise I also changed when I started trying to design the marquee. I was going to go with a lightning theme from http://www.gameongrafix.com/products/lightning-marquee-from but as I had actually purchased the joysticks without thinking about it I had one Red and one Blue, so I decided to go with a more Red vs Blue theme.

LED buttons also seemed to take off since I first ordered, so I upgraded the control buttons (P1, P2, coin insert, etc) to LED buttons in corresponding Red or Blue and also then got some Yellow and Green buttons for the other non playing buttons like TAB, ESC, etc.

I designed the Marquee myself after finding a background image I liked and placing game graphics I liked around it.

The rest has just been me trying to work out what to do and how to do it... lots of reading on the net etc.

Currently status is that I am trying to complete the cabinet in time for my 40th birthday which is in just over two weeks now. Been working on it a couple of nights a week for 3 weeks. Last night I actually screwed the sides together with the front panel, base panel, upper back panel and top. The speaker panel is ready to go and I just need to cut a suitable sized board for the monitor shelf. Control panel top and box is done, just need to router the slot for the t-moulding. I have a small issue trying to fix a bad patch of jigsawing where the control panel sits, and mark out and cut the bezel, but other than that I think it is then prep everything for painting, then painting, and final wiring of the control panel. Not sure I will get it done in time, though I do have next week off as I am changing jobs, but my 2 yo might object to me spending too much time in the garage! :lol:

So that's about it.. I dont have any progress photos.. I was going to see how well it comes out before maybe posting completed pics!! I dont think I have done anything out of the ordinary, except maybe the rotating screen and the bezel arrangement I am going to attempt.

Once it is painted, I purchased a number of stickers from http://www.arcadestickers.co.uk/ to go on the sides and around the bezel and I am tossing up a paint effect at the moment or go flat black or satin as I don't think I can pull off a glossy finish.

If I get around to some progress pics I will add them, or hopefully I will have some completed pic really soon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Kingy's Upright Cabinet.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Epic journey! Once the bug bites, it's like an addiction :lol:

Sounds good so far - looking forward to some pics when you get to it!

Oh and great choice of joysticks, the Mag Stick + is a great stick.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Nice.... I am looking forward to seeing it.... especially as I am being pressured to go 2 play by the missus at the moment... So I may have to go 2play as well :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm 
Founding Board Member

Kingy wrote:
as I had actually purchased the joysticks without thinking about it I had one Red and one Blue, so I decided to go with a more Red vs Blue theme.

Red vs Blue theme - man that'd be so cool having those charactres plastered over a mame machine! (I'm talking about the Halo-based comedy series here btw) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm 
Founding Board Member

Awesome story Kingy, mate the bug would've hit you with a vengance after 4 years of no activity.

Sounds like you've got a busy couple of weeks ahead of you, best of luck mate will be eager to hear about it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Dlude wrote:
Awesome story Kingy, mate the bug would've hit you with a vengance after 4 years of no activity!

What.. you mean like tonight when the missus has gone out for her weekly craft night and I bitchin I can't go out to the garage in case in the kids wake up!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Nah... don't know what you mean... :lol:

Going to finalise the Marquee tonight I think.. and maybe the software and MaLa setup.. those things are a little less dirty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 pm 
Founding Board Member

Kingy wrote:
like tonight when the missus has gone out for her weekly craft night and I bitchin I can't go out to the garage in case in the kids wake up!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

exactly what I mean :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

sorry i should of posted this here instead of Goochee's build

I was following you today Kingy!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 pm 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
sorry i should of posted this here instead of Goochee's build

I was following you today Kingy!

:lol:

hahahahhaa.. nice one... wish it was my number plate!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

And for a second there, I thought I had another Patrol enthusiast in here....:(

Sisterhood Forever!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next