It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Goochee's Cocktail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm 
AWRTGUMA Member

Hi Guys

Well I have been bitten by the MAME bug and am starting with the PacMan Cocktail. Got some old PC parts & 19" WS LCD that are working fine with MAME and using Maximus Arcade.
Time for the wood work.

Here is my progress so far
Attachment:
Base.jpg

A few challenges, straight cuts are fine but that #$%* jigsaw. Checked to see if the blade was square with the base but was making cuts at an angle :(

So I am a bit hesitant for the curved sides of the 4 control panels. Would appreciate some guidence to get a better finish. Or am I worried to much as they will be getting covered up by t-mold.

Would also like some advice on the best way to cut the monitor cutout in the table top.

Cheers

Goochee

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Goochee's Cocktail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Hi Goochee and welcome to the forums... :D

Project looking good so far but as far as your cutting at angles, could be either your rushing your cuts or your Jigsaw blade is bent or bending under force or maybe the wrong type of blade being used?. Without knowing too much atm, I'd say, go a little slower. A circular saw will give better results for those easy, straight cuts but if your savvy, you can drop the blade down but I suppose that will take practice. Been doing it for 20+ years now (with one hand too I might add) so I'm pretty good at it these days....YES, I'm a showoff.... :lol:

Using wooden blocks as guides always work a treat if you want perfection as the human eyes and hands can't compare to it.

I'm sure the other guys here who are wayyyy more experienced than me (in Cab building anyway, I'll kick their sorry ass's on everything else...lol....showing off again... :mrgreen: ) and they'll have some good tips I'm sure. Our resident pro cab maker Danny is a piece of work and if it's been done, he's done it.

Good luck!

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:17 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Hey Goochee, welcome aboard!

Looks like a good start there - are you glueing as well?

For my cocktail I cut the rounded corners with the jigsaw, slow and steady and makes sure your jigsaw is sitting square is about all I could say for the jigsaw. If you have access to a router you could always cut the initial cuts outside the guide lines with the jigsaw then using a flush trim bit and a jig/guide, route to a nice even finish. Even if all 4 corners aren't 100% exact it won't be noticeable to the naked eye. Plus, imperfections can be either routed away or sanded. The T-moulding will help to hide any little boo-boos too.

As for the screen cutout, I plopped the top on the cabinet, marked where the sides were once centred then flipped it, put the monitor face down evenly inside the marks (allowing as well for the thickness of the sides) then mark out where the monitor sits. Then measure how much there is between the outermost edges of the monitor and the panel then adjust the markings to reflect this. This should be the size to fit your panel without showing the surround. Cut it out INSIDE the guides with a jigsaw then tidy up with a router (flush trim bit) being sure to use jigs that are clamped nice and tight. Depending on the thickness of your top you might want to run an angle edge bit around the inside with the router to slope the edges down toward the screen. If you can see any of the monitor surround disguise it with black electrical tape.

If you haven't used a router before be sure to have a few goes on some scrap. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it. They can be picked up for around $50-60 at Bunnings, Ozito is fine for this sort of use - I think Heath has an Ozito? I've got a Ryobi which I'm really happy with.

It's great to see new project on the go here, I can love vicariously through you for the time being until I get my next build organised - probably a low boy unless I get an order for something else!

Look forward to updates mate and ask as many questions as you need to and remember - most mistakes can be fixed/covered up or explained away :mrgreen:

Measure twice - cut once! :D

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

begee and Dlude have Ozito routers, I got myself a triton, as i always wanted an excuse to buy one... (plus im being given a triton router table to put it on, which is noice) the smaller 'laminate cutter' type ones would do the job well, as the big triton i have is a little bit cumbersome sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

heathwithnoteeth wrote:
begee and Dlude have Ozito routers, I got myself a triton, as i always wanted an excuse to buy one... (plus im being given a triton router table to put it on, which is noice) the smaller 'laminate cutter' type ones would do the job well, as the big triton i have is a little bit cumbersome sometimes.

Ah righto then. I'd like a router table.

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Those Triton Tables are the bees knees, even from a tradesman's point of view. Really sturdy and well built that I just might grab one for myself...:)

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm 
Founding Board Member

Welcome Goochee

Great to have you on the forum mate......also good to have another build to follow :D

The trick I found with jigsaws is not to push them too hard otherwise they take off very quickly in their own direction. Just let the saw blade
cut at it's own pace and you just worry about guiding it in the right direction. As BIG has said especially with curves you will need to sand
after jigsawing and you'll find the sanding will quickly get rid of any little boo boos you make.

Looks like a group buy on Triton router tables is on the cards :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 pm 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

got the triton work table... is a router / jigsaw table. handy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am 
Founding Board Member | Retailer

Nice to follow your build here.

Jigsaws are nasty things, and are really only good for removing excess material.

As others have said, take your time. Pushing the jigsaw will bend the blade and cut on an angle. Especially cutting around corners, the bottom of the blade will try to go wide. Use a plane, file, or sander to bring it square again.

Can't go past a router (I now have 4 of them) but you will need to learn how to use them as they can take off from you when you least expect it. Get a cheap one. They all do the basic things. Experiment, try different things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 am 
AWRTGUMA Devotee

Hi Goochee,

Looking forward to seeing more of your build(and hearing more of your issues), as I am getting ready to start one of my own. I have now noted that I need to practice curves on some offcuts before attacking the main cab :) also noted that the Ozito Routers are alright. I would probably have gotten one anyway, I have a bunch of Ozito tools and for what I use them for, they do the job.

Woolfe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next