It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year's Resolutions
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm 
Founding Board Member

Good luck mate - hope it works out for you :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 am 
Founding Board member | Mod

krudds wrote:
Money is better than an apprenticeship.

Although the money is better, a qualified skill to fall back on is always a good thing.

Short term gains pay the bills but long term investment can sometimes be worth waiting for.

I can't speak though and have made a good living from a trade without the official qualification papers.

It's hard to knock back a high paying job though and can't blame you for that.

Hmmm....my floors look like shite! ;)

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Founding Board Member

Soda-Pop wrote:
krudds wrote:
Money is better than an apprenticeship.

Although the money is better, a qualified skill to fall back on is always a good thing.

Short term gains pay the bills but long term investment can sometimes be worth waiting for.

I can't speak though and have made a good living from a trade without the official qualification papers.

It's hard to knock back a high paying job though and can't blame you for that.

Hmmm....my floors look like shite! ;)

I still plan on still becoming qualified. I'm just using this as a stepping stone.

Its easier finding an apprenticeship, when you are already working in the field. If i can get paid more then I am getting currently and get the experience, bonus.
It's easier to become qualified down the track if you have prior experience and can try and go down the RPL path and essentially short cut it.

I think ideally i'm looking to get into the renovating and outdoor pergolas/decking/alfresco side of things with the odd building something start to finish (that is NOT a 'house in a box' you get from the big builders).

EDIT:
Also depending on how things go down the track, if i end up getting an apprenticeship, it might be worth staying in contact with these guys and doing the odd cash job on weekends (these guys even work on sundays).

This is of course assuming that i get the job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:23 pm 
Founding Board Member

OK, so update time. A bit has happened since the last post.

1. The guy canceled on me the night before, saying he had some one-off job to go to up in Wagga Wagga, and we would need to reschedule. The guy was very keen initially, but seemed to be getting a bit flaky and the "I'll call you tonight/tomorrow" etc never seemed to happen
2. Got a call from some other guy a week or so later saying he got my number from guy #1 and wanted to give me a trial doing the same thing. Told me he'd call me.. whenever...and didn't end up calling. So i tried contacting both asking if they were still interested. #1, no response. #2 apologised and said he was rushed into hospital to have his appendix removed and won't be looking for another 2 weeks at least as a result.

3. So after going back over previous contacts and asking if they were still looking/hiring and getting no response...i ended up getting a response 2 weeks after i sent the initial email. It was from the original guy i spoke to over the phone in....March? He said a spot has opened up and to come in.
So i organised a day....and he didn't cancel!
He is a builder and has several jobs going that he kinda oversees and helps out when needed. I worked with 2 of his blokes that i would eventually be doing the apprenticeship with/for. Nice blokes got along well. This guy does everything from start to finish and does many different and interesting jobs around town. The site i worked at is buiding 6 multistory units in Richmond which has a multilevel parking garage! :shock: Another site he just got was (re)building 8 cinemas!
Anyway, they all suggested i do an extra couple of days trial as they've had some bad luck with apprentices leaving or complaining its not for them, too hard, *insert excuse here*. So i ended up doing 3 more days.

They worked me hard. I've got cuts and bruises, aches and pains, got rained on and was put through the ringer. In one day i moved over 400 lengths of 3m 90x45 pine plus maybe 100 of hardwood and about 100 lengths of other random sizes and lengths. I estimated i carried timber for over 2.5km that day. I spent at least 2 hours of non-stop grinding through 1/2 steel to make brackets and various other jobs. Nailed in over 60 joist hangers (21 nails in each, hand nailed) which were all 3m+ off the ground, so up and down a ladder a billion times and various other jobs they trusted me with. All of this after i tweaked my knee (lucky i had my knee brace to control the swelling).
But i did it all, without stopping, complaining or playing on my phone and they were all very impressed and offered me the job. :-D

So...i start there monday week.
I told Maccas that i got the job and wouldn't be doing anymore shifts there for a while until i see how much i'm getting paid and if i can afford to live of that. I may do a weekend shift or something but i'll let them know later down the track. I fully intend to NOT go back if i can afford it, but i just don't want to burn all my bridges just yet. ;-)

So yeah...
Been a long haul, but it looks like i will be fulfilling my new years resolution of becoming a tradie. Normally i don't bother making these things as i have no interest in keeping the ones i do make. So this might be a first....and the first day of the rest of my life.
*insert some emotional ballad here*
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:00 pm 
Founding Board Member

Mate that is great news.
Talk about perseverance!

Good to see it has paid off and I sincerely hope it will work out.
You deserve it after all your effort! :D

11 Cheers for Binary!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 am 

Awesome Perseverance mate!

An attitude like that should do wonders for you. The aches will pass within a week also. You'll be Hercules next week. I've always hated my first week back from a holiday. You feel so weak and sore after spending weeks lazing by a pool or drinking too much grog. I know exactly how you feel.

Who knows, I might touch bases with you on one of these sites one day. I'm usually lurking around the odd carpark installing boom gates, bar grills, commercial openers, etc...

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 am 
Founding Board Member | Master of Acrylic

well done... wish i had the guts to do the employment 'sea change'... i am waiting until my 10 years is up, so i can leave and start working for myself. 15 years doing what i am doing now and i think i could do it.... im sick of earning money for someone else.

good stuff krudds...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:18 pm 
Founding Board Member

Cheers guys.

I would have to thank the wife for being so supportive during all this. Willing to take the hit financially in order to get the long term gain.
Many would not be so supportive.

She is certainly a temperamental one at the best of times, and although she has her almost daily hissy fits about things, she has been pretty solid backing me through this period.

Hopefully it pays off for both of us in the long run.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

Awesome stuff krudds! I admire you for taking the plunge, something I need to do if this redundancy doesn't come through.

Keep us posted mate, and congrats again!

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:47 am 

Met some of last year's resolutions but fell short in a few areas.

This year is much the same as last year's...

So....how did you fellas fare?

Sisterhood Forever!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next