It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year's Resolutions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm 
Founding Board Member

Thanks guys.

Soda-Pop wrote:
Technically, once I have those, I can legally employ and train an apprentice carpenter and joiner. Wasn't implying...Just sayin'... ;)

...and the likelyhood of you getting them and taking on an apprentice...?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm 
Founding Board member | Mod

Quite likely but they won't be doing much on the carpentry side of things, all things considered when compairng my industry to carpentry/building.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 pm 
Founding Board Member

OK, so today was 'first day of school' for me and it was ok.

Starting a week behind everyone else (kinda my fault) has its advantages and disadvantages.

Disadvantage, everyone has had 2.5 days working through there practical workbook....cutting/chiselling etc. So i've got 2.5 days to catchup on.

Advantage, missed out on the 'introduction' and 'orientation' stuff which is a waste. Also, missed out on half a days 'maths'. Apparently 16yo's struggle to understand calculating perimeters....lol...so i caught up on half a days work in about 30minutes at home (without a calculator!).

All in all, it was a good first day...and on my way to fulfilling my news years resolution. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
Founding Board Member | Admin

'Like'

"If I can't build a time machine then I'll build machines from back in time." - Me

A.W.R.T.G.U.M.A Sisterhood
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:17 pm 
Founding Board Member

OK, so i've done most of my updating via the shout box, but i think i'll try and give a summary of my TAFE experience here.

Firstly, 1 16 week course with 2 weeks break in the middle has been completed.

I started 1 week late, but caught up within a few days.
I was moved forward into another class which meant i was a week behind again, but caught up with a few days.
After 2 weeks of being in the course, i'd finished week 4. :-D
Teachers were impressed and gave me a phone number of someone looking for an apprentice. Called and emailed...never heard back. :?
Was working at a fast pace each and every week which meant, along with a string of public holidays, that i had about 6 weeks were i only attended TAFE for 4 days. One week was only 2.5.
I'd applied for a couple of positions along the way via the noticeboard...no response. :?
One teacher said he had a mate who was looking and would get back to me. Still waiting.
Starting to get a little frustrated at this point.

I was handpicked for an interview by one of the teachers and was 1 of 9 people (4 from my class, 4 from my old class, and 1 from...somewhere else?) Interview went well, ideal job....made top 3 but went with guy from 'somewhere else'...because he could start ASAP. Which during the interview it was said that everyone else could potentially start ASAP as well....guess he didn't want to take the risk.

So one of the other teachers was stunned i was still looking (knowing what a good worker i was) and gave me and 2 other blokes a number of someone who was looking to hire 2 people. First guy gets a trial and is hired on the spot, second guy gets a trial and is told he needs to wait until i have my trial...which i have as well. During the trial he gets a phone call and agrees to trial one other person. That other person gets the job.

So after applying for...
3 jobs by email.
1 by phone
1 by interview
1 by trial

...i'm still yet to find a job.

Unfortunately i have to go back to maccas on monday with my tail between my legs for now and spend some more time looking. :???:

I've got my sister in law trying to hook me up at one-steel (i know a chippie at one steel?!) but they do have one there who is looking to retire soon. They pay well so its worth a shot.

If all else fails...i can still try the office works thing from a mate, but thats on the backburner for now.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm 

krudds wrote:
Starting to get a little frustrated at this point.

I feel your pain mate.

First and foremost and a rule of thumb is that failure is where the most sucessful succeed. Without it, you aren't trying hard enough. Keep this mindset and you'll acheive whatever it is you want to.

Second, never sit back and wait for the reply, just keep moving as relying on others actions is a sure fire way to take a step backwards.

Third, stay out of your comfort zone. It sparks creativity, keeps you on your toes and there is never a dull moment when challenging outside the box.

Fourth, Never be a yes man but never say no.

Apart from the above, I'll keep a lookout for you, as much of the employment oppurtunities out there can be via who you know, not what you know.

In the meanwhile, keep every option open and for the moment, Maccas is at least something.

Good Luck!

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am 
Founding Board Member

What a bugger mate.
Sounds like you certainly would be an asset to anyone who hires you. Hopefully someone will see the light soon and snap you up.
Chin up and keep knocking on those doors mate.

11 Cheers for Binary!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm 
Founding Board Member

First day back at maccas complete. 5am-2pm. Ugh.

Store manager asked me how the course was and what the plan was from here. I told her flat out that i'm looking to get out and i wouldn't wanna make any long term plans with me, but i'll give her as much notice as i can if/when i do find something else. I'll continue to work my butt of in the meantime, as usual.

She was happy with that but advised me not to be so honest with the area manager (the one who stuffed up my long service leave) is she happens to inquire.

So, at least they know where i stand and i don't have to walk on eggshells and whisper behind peoples backs.

Anyway, thats great advice soda.
The missus sent me an email suggesting i look into a welding short course, which can be done part time monday nights.
http://www.nmit.edu.au/shortcourses/int ... yacetylene

Not really sure if that would provide any advantages...or even how long the course is.
Any advice in regards to that?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm 

MIG, ARC and Oxy welding are the best types of welding to get skilled up for. I personally think ARC welding being the one to master and the others having a very shallow learning curve.

I learnt the basics of ARC and OXY many years ago but has taken me years to master it and I reckon I still have my bad days.

MIG is a cinch (Self taught showoff) if you can ARC and wouldn't focus too much time on it. ARC is the best to learn, even if you may never use it much or at all as the rest becomes alot easier imo.

Gasless MIGS aren't worth the paper they are written on. Always go for Gas if you contemplate buying a mig in the future.

I still use ARC alot on building sites due to there simplicity and universal operation. MIG is for workshops.

Let us know how you go.

Sisterhood Forever!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:53 pm 
Founding Board Member

Had a message left on my phone from the admin girl from Tafe. Didn't notice it at the time as i was in the middle of a friday lunch rush.

Told me to call some guy called Dennis about a job.
I did.
Got a trial on Thursday. Paying me $150 cash.

Technically its not an apprenticeship. Its a flooring company who does floating floors and what not.
Money is better than an apprenticeship. He has work coming out of his ears and i can work 7 days if i want too, so money is definitely good.

Plus, if i end up wanting to get into something else later on the experience will come in handy and i may even be able to get recognition of prior learning and get my carpenter qualification sooner that way.
This was actually suggested by one of the teachers at TAFE. He recommends all the older students go down this path as we need the money, and pick things up quicker.

So yeah...fingers crossed i like it, they like me and i can get the hell out of maccas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next